ABOUT THE PROJECT
The Rooted in Trust project works to combat COVID-19 rumors and misinformation in Afghanistan, Lebanon, Iraq, Colombia, Brazil, Mali, Democratic Republic of Congo, Zimbabwe, Sudan, South Sudan, Haiti, Yemen and Madagascar. We work to create impact at the local level and inform approaches to rumor management at the global level. The project is supported by a Global Technical Advisory team made up of media, humanitarian, data science and information management experts.
In Phase 1 of the project, we collected more than 19 thousand rumors in 14 languages and supported more than 30 local trusted information providers. In this critical phase of the pandemic, we will build on these efforts to listen and respond to the information challenges faced by vulnerable groups in humanitarian contexts, encouraging open dialogue between citizens and scientists and stronger and more collaborative partnerships between information providers (such as local media) and humanitarian and health sources.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Data Analyst (DA) is tasked with wrangling qualitative and quantitative rumor data and working to find trends and information that help us better understand community perceptions of the pandemic and vaccines. The DA will help partners and/or team members to ensure qualitative data is collected in a consistent and continuous way and analyzing feedback with a focus on the concerns, fears and hopes that are behind the rumors and drive misinformation. The DA will support the Internews team and its partners to address misinformation and provide input for feedback reports for humanitarian partners on national and regional level to inform decision-making and improve the information provision with timely, locally-relevant and reliable information people trust.
This is a remote-based position. Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrable knowledge of the Yemen context. You must have work authorization in your current location that does not require sponsorship from Internews. Additionally, there are locations in which Internews is not able to support fully remote work.
Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions for international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will be based upon a candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
Note: Hiring for this position is contingent upon receipt of funding.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply soon.
This is a term position with an expected end date in January 2023.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
DAY-TO-DAY TASKS will include:
- Lead the analysis of rumor data collected by partner organizations and identify trends that may impact on public health outcomes;
- Support feedback gathering by Internews staff and partners by evaluating methodology and suggesting improvements where necessary;
- Collate, clean and analyze data collected by Internews and partner organizations through community engagement activities like call-in radio shows, social media interactions, face-to-face interactions, including those by front line aid workers, media and other channels as deemed relevant.
- Contribute to the production of regular rumor and feedback reports for humanitarian, media and health partners to improve their understanding of the concerns and questions among the affected population;
- Work alongside and collaborate with researchers, journalists, and humanitarian communicators;
- Provide input into the editorial process by providing regular updates to the Content Creator and the content production team on recurrent or emerging topics and trends;
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities to assess impact, reach and quality of the ongoing project;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisors;
- Understanding of and demonstrating commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong qualitative data analysis, research and information management experience in fast-changing humanitarian contexts and with variable datasets;
- Experience and/or understanding of sentiment analysis and/or social media listening tools a plus;
- Data visualization skills and knowledge of relevant software to produce info-graphics is a plus;
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian system to ensure data collection (Kobo, ODK) and provision follows the Core Humanitarian Standards and information can be sourced in a timely manner among partners on the ground;
- Strong writing skills and the ability to bring data to life;
- Experience working in humanitarian and/or health emergencies;
- Fluent in English and relevant local languages;
- Strong understanding of, and commitment towards editorial values of the project;
- Self-motivated and ability to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong understanding of, and commitment towards, editorial values of the project.
Note: Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn, are encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in Arabic an advantage
- Awareness of, and familiarity with, the issues and dynamics of the COVID-19 pandemic and/or other health crises in humanitarian contexts a strong asset
How to apply
To apply, please submit CV and optionally a cover letter via our Careers page.